What is microblading?
Microblading is a form of cosmetic tattoo where pigment is implanted under the skin with a manual handheld blade tool. The technique results in the most natural looking semi-permanent eyebrows imaginable. Microblading originated in Asia over 25 years ago and it can also be referred to as, microstroking, micropigmentation, eyebrow emroidery, eyebrow feathering and 3D eyebrows. Microblading is a safe, non-invasive procedure that produces semi-permanent results.
Before Your Appointment
Microblading results create gorgeous eyebrows, however, the procedure is not recommended for everyone. To prevent any complications related to your overall well-being and to ensure your skin is in the best possible condition, please review the suggestions and requirements below.
- Avoid all alcohol and caffeine 24 hrs. before the procedure to prevent excessive bleeding.
- Please be advised that women on or near their menstrual cycle have a tendency to bleed a bit more during the procedure than women who are not. In addition, numbing agents also seem to not take as well to women who are menstruating. If you wish to avoid this please let us know.
- To prevent excessive bleeding, avoid taking blood thinners like aspirin, niacin, vitamin E, or ibuprofen 48 hours before procedure. Tylenol or acetaminophen are great substitutes for pain relievers.
- Avoid waxing or tinting 3 days before the procedure.
- No Botox/Filler treatments should be done 3 weeks prior or 4 weeks after the procedure.
- No chemical peels 60 days before or after the procedure. Chemical peels will induce your skin to peel prematurely and (brows will peel quicker due to chemicals traveling under the skin)
- No Retinols/Retin-A, anti-aging/acne creams, or serums containing acids as these will fade brows prematurely if used during the first 30 days in your healing process.
- Avoid sweating excessively the day of your procedure and during the first week during the healing process.
- Avoid heavy sunlight or UV lights 3 days before your procedure. If you do tan regularly, skin should be fully healed the day of the procedure.
During Your Appointment
The average microblading appointment usually takes about one and a half to two hours from beginning to end. The steps for a microblading appointment are listed as follows:
Pictures - Before and after pictures are a great way to see your brow transformation, so we snap a few quick pictures of your eyebrows before getting started and then a few more after the procedure.
Consultation - Discuss colors, shape and the problem areas you wish to address. There is heavy emphasis placed on understanding your expectations and helping you understand what results are possible through microblading.
Brow Shaping - Shaping eyebrows correctly is the foundation to getting perfect eyebrows. Using what is called the golden ratio, your facial features, and some measuring, we draw the perfectly shaped eyebrows for your face directly on your skin for you to see.
Approval - Before moving forward, the artist ensures you are completely happy with your brow shape and expectations of the procedure. Please speak up during this time if you wish to make any adjustments or if you have any questions or concerns.
Numbing - A topical anesthetic is applied to ensure pain is not an issue. Most clients feel little to no pain during the procedure. For those super sensitive clients, we offer an additional anesthetic during the procedure to ensure that you are comfortable.
Paperwork - While your skin is numbing you’ll review and sign consent forms, followed by completing a brief medical history to ensure the microblading procedure will not interfere with your overall well-being.
Microblading - Using a microblade tool, the artist cuts hair-like stokes into your skin while implanting a plant-based pigment to give you the brows you’ve always dreamed of.
Aftercare Instructions - After the procedure, the artist will provide you with a take-home aftercare package that includes your aftercare instructions, the barrier cream you will need during your healing process and we will schedule your touch-up appointment four to six weeks later.
Feel free to provide the artist with picture references of your ideal eyebrows.
Microblading post-care is very important to the appearance and longevity of your new eyebrows. We recommend GENTLY washing the tattooed area for 3 days, 3 times a day with lukewarm water and a disposable paper towel, gauze or cotton round. NO SOAP. Pat the area dry and apply a THIN layer of the barrier cream that has been supplied to you. Keep it out of the sun throughout the healing process. Do not apply ANY cosmetics in this area and avoid sweating for AT LEAST 10-14 days. Keep the area clean and let it breathe!
The following must be AVOIDED 14 days post-microblading procedure:
- You may shower or bathe normally, but avoid getting any soaps, shampoos or other cleansers on the treated area for the first five days as they can be detrimental to the bonding process that must take place for the pigment to stabilise in the dermis.
- Soaking your face underwater in a bathtub or allow the shower to spray directly in your face.
- Increased sweating
- Hot sauna, hot bath, or Jacuzzi
- Sun tanning or salon tanning
- Using Vaseline, Neosporin or other petroleum based products while healing.
- Picking, peeling, or scratching of the micro pigmented area in order to avoid scarring of the area or removal of the pigment. IMPORTANT: Once the flakes have fallen off, a shiny layer of healing skin will completely cover the hair strokes. It may appear as though the tattooed area has completely disappeared. Within 1-2 weeks, the hair strokes will slowly reappear at a lighter shade as your skin regenerates.
- UV/UVA Rays or chemicals as they have been known to cause a shift in color and premature fading
- Apply any anti-acne products (e.g. Benzoyl Peroxide, Salicylic Acid, Proactiv, etc.) or lightening creams (skin bleaching creams) such as hydroquinone to the treated area while healing.
- Any laser or chemical treatments or peelings, and/or any creams containing Retin-A or Glycolic acid on the face or neck
- Performing tasks related to heavy household cleaning such as garage or basement cleaning where there is a lot of airborne debris
- Touching of the eyebrow area except for when rinsing and applying the post-care cream with a cotton swab.
TRUST THE PROCESS- Healed microblading results are the most beautiful and natural looking way to enhance eyebrows, but the path leading to those anticipated healed results can be a little daunting. In addition to following the microblading aftercare instructions, understanding the microblading healing process is essential to avoid undue worry and stress while going through the different stages of healing. Please note everyone heals differently so the timeline below is just a general guideline.
- Eyebrows look amazing immediately after microblading appointment
- Pigment gradually gets darker throughout the first day
- Pigment reaches darkest level on day two
- Light scabbing develops where microblading strokes occurred. IMPORTANT: Once the flakes have fallen off, a shiny layer of healing skin will completely cover the hair strokes. It may appear as though the tattooed area has completely disappeared. Within 1-2 weeks, the hair strokes will slowly reappear at a lighter shade as your skin regenerates.
- Scabbing from microblading strokes begin to peel and flake off, sometimes revealing no definite, visible color in skin
- Pigment in skin continues to oxidize and microbladed strokes begin to reappear in color intended from the beginning, but some strokes come back looking patchy
- Eyebrows fully healed and ready to undergo the finishing effects of the touch-up appointment
- Beautiful eyebrow enhancement/transformation is complete after final touch-up
Please feel free to contact us with any questions or concerns during your healing process.